Sunday, October 11, 2009

End of an Era

It is getting late and I've been intending to do this all day so this will be a little shorter than I had hoped. Perhaps this will be a multi-part-post. Anyways, so, this morning, I walked into church at the theaters at Union Station for the last time. To make a long story short, the movie theater's lease was revoked, effective this week, so with very little notice, NCC is down a location... our largest, oldest location.

I wanted to go this morning, one last time, but I don't think it would hit me quite as hard as it did. I took a picture of the marquis outside the theater because I realized that the entrance to that theater was as much of a physical symbol on my spiritual journey as I have. When I walked into that theater the first time, I was professing with my mouth, but in my mind, I was contemplating walking away from Christianity all together. But, there, in an old, sticky-floored movie theater, I rediscovered God and my faith in a whole new way. And, I fell in love with NCC, discovered Alpha, and learned to embrace the rich life I am fortunate enough to have here in DC.

But, today, I walked out of that theater, along with hundreds of other NCCers who have invested their time, money and energy in that space, making NCC what it is today. NCC called that theater home for 13 years. Where next? No one knows yet, but it is sure to be exciting!

4 comments:

Heather Z said...

Thanks for being a part of this crazy adventure!

Anonymous said...

You know that was the first time I saw you, too ... you were playing flute in worship and wearing your jersey. I think you stood next to me in the back during the service. I remember thinking 1) you had cool hair (it was really long then) 2) you were in the band so you were probably too cool to be my friend.

Anonymous said...

The first time I came to visit you in DC we went to that location. You played flute and it was a Steeler Sunday....I can't help but have a ping of sadness also...but I also know that God has something so amazing in store for NCC. Gail

Leigh said...

I had the same experience except when I first went to NCC I was going to stop going to church completely until later in life, but that Sunday I think it was Sept. 20 I decided to try out this one new church I found on google that friday that net in a theater in Union Station. I loved it and now I continue to go to church @ NCC:)