I've had a busy, good week and I'd just like to share a little bit of it so sorry if this gets a little news-y. The last two weeks seem a bit blurr-ish since I was away last weekend. It makes it seem as though it's been one long week rather than two. But, that's besides the point, I suppose. The point is that this week I had five very different evenings, but all quite nice. Monday evening, I went to my community group. I'm just really starting to get a feel for my place in that group and it's nice. I feel like I've been there long enough that I can kind of be "one of the group" and try to make the newer people feel more welcome. I'm really surprised how comfortable I am there, though. I must admit that I am fighting the urge to leave and go to another small group. I'm not entirely sure why. I like that group...I really do, but I have some sort of flight sickness, I think. But, I need to stay. Anyways, we had a good discussion, albeit a difficult one and that was good.
Tuesday, I was looking forward to occupying my couch for the evening, but then Jeremy asked if I wanted to go do something so we went and had dinner. I'm so glad we did because it was just really nice to chill and spend time with him... never mind the half-hour search for bunny-friendly restaurants, the mediocre tapas (but yummy sangria!) and our completely inattentive (and slightly sexist) server. Acutally, that all was probably what made the night enjoyable... spontaneity, unpredictability, and good company.
Wednesday.... um, yeah, wednesday was a not so good date, but a decent story...let's just say I shoved money in the server's hand and said, "just in case he's cheap".
Thursday...I was looking forward to this for weeks. I went to hear the NSO play Corigliano's symphony #1 (the AIDS symphony). I didn't even know what was being programmed in the first half until I got there. Turns out it was Brahms' Tragic Overture and the Bruch violin concerto. Brahms was nice as Brahms usually is (don't get me wrong, sometimes it's exquisite, but usually, it's nice), but I forgot how much I enjoy Bruch. His melodies are so well-spun and it's not difficult to understand and appreciate...that's nice sometimes...especially when you know there is a Corigliano soon to follow. But, the violinist did a really nice job...not over-romanticized or over-emoted, just beautiful. Before I move on to the Corigliano, a quick note...I was sitting in the second row because I got a comp ticket from an acquantance and beggars can't be choosers. Just for reference, if you go to a concert in the Kennedy Center Concert Hall, don't sit in the first 5 rows. I was used to the Kimmel Center in Philly where even the first few rows are good...close, but good. Not so in the Concert Hall... the first rows = neck kink. Just a word of advice. Now, on to Corigliano, I did move back a bit prior to the symphony...thank god! If you've ever heard this piece, you know that it is percussion heavy and loud, loud, loud at points. So, even in the 12th row, it was almost too close...should have sat in the tiers for this one. Regardless, it was performed fairly well. I think I'm spoiled, though. Philadelphia's orchestra is truly amazing, especially their winds and brass. The NSO just isn't there yet. I guess I just expected more from Slatkin and this orchestra on this piece since they recorded it and won a grammy for it and all. And, actually, I liked the recording as I recall. But, it was still a good performance...a different performance, of course, but a good one. The main draw to this concert for me was that John Corigliano was there engaging in an after-concert discussion. It was interesting. I didn't really hear anything earth-shattering, but it is always interesting to hear musicians relate as philosophers and most importantly, people. I, of course, wimped out and didn't ask my question. Doh! I was afraid it was too "heady". Oh well, hopefully, I haven't lost my chance forever. Ok, sorry about the rambling on this one.
Friday...I had a crappy day at work. I was tired from being too social all week and by the end of the day, I just wanted to cry and sleep. However, I had told someone I would go see a movie. So, I went home and turned out the lights, turned on Nora Jones and lit a stress-relief candle (yes, I really have one). I laid down and listened to the music and the rain outside my window and soon everything was once again right with the world. It's amazing how little things can make the biggest difference. So, then after the muck of my day was washed off of my brain and spirit, I made my way toward Gallery Place for a movie. We watched Serenity. I had heard lots of good things about both the movie and the series it was based on (thanks to Colleen, Nathaniel, Dave and other random sources). However, I hate to break it to you all... not terribly impressed. Perhaps the series was really great, I don't know. I should enter a disclaimer here, though. We were sitting in the fourth row...we got into the theater a little later than we should have and it was a Friday night so the viewing experience may not have been optimal. So, once again, the experience was thwarted by neck-craning. That's the story of my week, I guess.
Thanks for sticking with me the whole way to the end.
No comments:
Post a Comment